Monday, August 10, 2009

Shreya releases the Music of Manasaare

She made her way into the hearts of thousands of Kannadigas when she crooned Araluthiru in the super hit Mungaru Male. And now she’s back to sing for music director Mano Murthy for his latest composition in Yograj Bhat’s next film Manasare. Bollywood’s popular singer, the soft-spoken and lovely Shreya Ghoshal, who was in town for the music launch of the film, says, “I’ve sung a song called Naa Naguva Modalene. It’s a beautiful melody — a classic Mano Murthy composition.”

Apart from singing for Kannada films, Shreya has lent her voice to Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam movies as well. How does she manage considering she doesn’t know any south Indian language? “I would really like to learn these languages. I’m always surrounded by Hindi-speaking people, so I need to be in the company of people who know these languages in order to learn them,” says Shreya who writes down the lyrics of all the songs in Hindi. “I can recognise the languages as I know a few words from each language. I jot down the meaning of each stanza so that I know the mood of the song,” she adds.

The lady with a mesmerising voice not only bagged a popular award in Bollywood for her song Teri Ore, but also won the same award in the South for her song in the Kannada film Mussanje Maathu. “I don’t aim for awards when I sing, but getting one is a sign that you’ve done a good job and people expect more from you,” she says.

Some of the south Indian singers she admires include Chitra, Hariharan and SP Balasubramaniam. Having made it big in the industry despite coming from a small town, Shreya says, “Those who don’t belong to a big city and don’t have too much exposure, should use this as an advantage as they will have fewer distractions. You should do your riyaaz well so that when the right opportunity comes your way, you can make it big.”

Having sung in all the south Indian languages, the singer has many more projects down South. “I recently sang for a Malayalam movie called Banaras. This is a language I don’t sign in often and getting the diction right was quite difficult,” says Shreya who has biggies like Blue, Three Idiots and My Name is Khan in the pipeline in Bollywood.


Credit:Kiran Raj

2 comments:

KIRAN RAJ S said...

The Music Release of Manasaare was held on Sunday evening...Shreya was the Chief Guest there...!!! She had flown down to Bangalore just for the Music Release @ Innovative Film City at Bangalore...It was telecast live on Udaya TV...which is a first in Kannada...

When asked as to what she feels about the adoration she gets in Kannada...she was like she has sung in all the South Indian languages...but the kind of unconditional love she gets in Kannada is unparalleled...At the very end of the program...she sang 'Aralutiru'...She sounded so so so so mesmerising...without music...I was so awestruck that I didn't know what was happening...Then she sang the song from Manasaare...The entire crew of the film which was on the dais started clapping away...and even my Dad who was watching the program with me (and who incidentally is a Lecturer in Kannada)...started clapping at the way she sung those lines...She was just out of this world...It was such a memorable experience for me...

Nishant said...

Thanks a lot for sharing this info with us Kiran :)