Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My voice and singing are my identity: Shreya Ghoshal

Ahmedabad: The Ghosals are 'idiots' as they let their daughter follow her heart — claimed a loving daughter Shreya Ghosal about her family. Bollywood's singing sensation and the only playback singer to have managed four national awards by the age of 26, Shreya shared her views about reality show, her hobbies and much more with DNA.

How do you identify yourself in Bollywood?
My voice and singing are my identity. I do not try too much to keep myself fit but I do all that requires me to keep the quality of my voice intact. One needs to do reyaz (practice) as every art can be perfected through practice only.

Besides singing, what else do you love to do?
I love cooking and make myself busy in the kitchen whenever I get an opportunity. Moreover, I dig fictions. Moreover, I love to plan vacations and go tracking with my friends, which unfortunately never happens. (laughs)

What are your aspirations?
I look out for non-filmy songs. However, it is not that easy as there is not much market for such albums in India unlike in western countries. Still I aspire to do so.

What has been your family's role?
I congratulated Raju Hirani for making Three Idiots as it most relevant in every family. The Ghosals are also 'idiots'! In our colony when everyone aspired to be a doctor or an engineer and many people said deteriorating things when I decided to go for career in singing and did not take up science, my parents never let my moral go down at any point in time. They let their daughter follow her heart!

And your take on reality shows…
Reality shows are popular as people have their say in deciding the results. However, it does not guarantee that the best will win. There are many factors like personality that determine the end results. Moreover, everything in reality show is not scripted, especially the judges comments.

How do you view the Amdavadi audience?
I have visited Ahmedabad many times. Here audience understands music - they enjoy not only dhamal but also soulful songs. The city has produced many a talented singers like Aishwarya Majmudar. I enjoy singing as one can afford to sing songs that are beautifully composed though they may not be very popular.

Source: www.dnaindia.com

No comments: